Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Thomson Reuters Journalism Training Programme. Thomson Reuters Journalism Training Programme application deadline is Friday 30th November 2018. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
About Thomson Reuters Journalism Training Programme
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest independent news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day. Around 2,500 journalists in over 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage with speed, impartiality and insight to financial professionals, to the world’s media organizations, and directly to consumers on Reuters.com and Reuters TV. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
The Reuters Journalism Programme is an opportunity for recent graduates, early career reporters, or professionals with 2-3 years’ experience who are looking to switch careers into journalism. The programme in 2019 will consist of 9 months of formal and on-the-job journalism training, initially for one month in London, followed by one of our other main reporting newsrooms or bureaus across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
We are excited to work with emerging talents who can tell stories about finance, politics and people from new perspectives and in different formats. As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek diverse, talented and qualified employees withproven knowledge and passion for business, markets and/or multimedia and data journalism.
- Nine-month scheme including intensive training and reporting assignments
- Placement in the London newsroom or a major bureau in EMEA
- Application due by Friday 30th November 2018
- Programme begins September 2019
- Participants who excel may be considered for other opportunities
What are we offering?
The Reuters Journalism Programme offers an opportunity to fast-track your journalism career and develop your skills across a variety of subjects and media. Successful applicants will predominantly report in text, but visual reporting skills and story-telling ideas will be welcome.
- Competitive pay
- Placements in a bureau in EMEA
- Fast-paced reporting on top news stories of the day
- Opportunity to develop journalism skills
What we are looking for
- Clear commitment to a career in journalism
- Drive to build sources, break news and deliver deeply reported stories
- Strong interest in issues that affect companies, markets and economies
- Ability to generate original, relevant story ideas
- Ambition to deliver journalism with real impact
- Fluency in written English
- Fluency in a second language beneficial but not compulsory
- An international outlook
Other desired skills (not prerequisites)
- Knowledge or expertise in a relevant field such as banking, financial analysis, accounting, law or computer science
- Up to 3 years of professional journalism experience
- Proven ability to generate exclusive and agenda-setting stories
- Experience in multi-media story-telling
- Expertise in data analysis or data-driven journalism
- Understanding of how to use social media to report and find sources
You must have the legal right to work in either Europe, Middle East or Africa to be considered for this programme
How do you apply?
- You should apply directly via our Careers site
- Please ensure that your CV is no more than two pages long and written in English.
- All applications must be supported by a Cover Letter
Applications open Friday 5th October and close on Friday 30th November 2018 at midday (UK time).