UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Form 2019/2020 is out | The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate admission application form for the 2019/2020 academic session has been released.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate programmes (Ph.D. Degree, M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree, Master Degree and Postgraduate Diploma) for the 2019/2020 academic session.
- Only available Courses for the session are advertised and as such candidates are advised to select courses available in the advertisement. Any action contrary to this instruction is at the candidate’s risk, please.
- Candidates are advised to PRINT out the advertisement and STUDY thoroughly before COMMENCING the application procedure
UNILORIN Postgraduate – Available Programmes
Go to UNILORIN Postgraduate Courses page to access the list of Ph.D. Degree, M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree, Master Degree and Postgraduate Diploma courses available at the University of Ilorin
1. Ph.D. Degree Programmes
These are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; M.Comm.H.; and M.P.H degrees, with a minimum of 60% or cumulative Grade Point Average score in their Master degree programmes. A Ph.D. degree programme runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for part-time candidates. Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. programme.
2. M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree Programmes
Candidates who score between 55.00 and 59.99 percent Cumulative Grade Point Average can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil/Ph.D.) degree programme. The M.Phil/Ph.D. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a dissertation is produced after the research work. Candidates in this category are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. candidature, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration. To be eligible for conversion for the Ph.D. program, candidates are expected to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
3. Master Degree Programmes
M.A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; M.Com.H., LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 24 calendar months and a maximum period of 36 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates. All Master Degree Programmes are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a dissertation is produced
4. Postgraduate Diploma Degree Programmes
Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with a Third class (honours) degree or lower. Applicants are to note that, programmes automatically lapses at the expiration of the maximum duration for each programme. However, a candidate may apply for an extension of not more than 12 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
5. General information
The Postgraduate session for the Master degree and Postgraduate Diploma is for 12 calendar months, commencing on 2nd October and ending on 30th September of the following year, while for the M.Phil. / Ph.D. and Ph.D. programme is 12 calendar months, session starts to count automatically on the date of first registration.
Applicants are to note that programmes automatically lapse at the expiration of
the prescribed maximum duration for each programme. However, a candidate
may apply for an extension of not more than 12 months, in the first instance,
subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Eligibility
- All Certificates shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form. The
National Youth Service Corp Discharge Certificate OR Exemption Certificate should
be presented on or before September 30th, 2019.
- Candidates are expected to submit their application forms on line together with the scanned copies of their credentials.
- All supporting documents in (i) above and the hard copy of the application form
should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin,
Nigeria between Friday, 10th May, 2019 and Friday 28th, June, 2019, while
the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be to the Head
of Department where the admission is being sought. The Postgraduate School
will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript, please.
- All candidates must have 5 O/L Credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Applicants for the Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). Regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in B(ii) above.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree programme shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of this or other recognized University, with an average weighted score of at least 60%. Short-listed candidates would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are therefore advised to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree programme. Regardless of the Institution where the Master degree was obtained. ALL candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline.
- All Higher Degree candidates that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Postgraduate School, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diplomas and Masters degree Programmes will be subjected to the written assessment (qualifying examination) irrespective of the class of degree obtained, except applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class and Second Class, Upper Division (Honours).
- International applicants (Applicants who are domiciled outside Nigeria, and nonNigerians, applying from outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination. However, International applicants applying from outside the country for the Doctor of Philosophy programmes shall be requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of what research they intend to carry out. This should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 28th June, 2019.
- Applicants applying for any of the Full-time programme of the University should the letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science shall satisfy one of the following:
- a minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognised University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities.
- HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with a minimum of Lower Credit; and
- HND in any other discipline different from those in (ii) but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent Institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
- Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
- A minimum of an honour’s degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
- HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytechnic with a minimum of Lower Credit.
How to Apply for UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission
Application fee for all programmes is N25, 000.00 only for Applicants within Nigeria
OR $200.00 only for International Applicants.
Application Forms are to be completed on-line and will close on Saturday, 29th
June, 2019. Note that the latest date for receipt of supporting documents is
Wednesday, 31st July 2019. Successful applicants would be notified by e-mail.
DATES AND VENUES OF QUALIFYING EXAMINATION
A three-hour qualifying examination for all applicants stated in D above for those seeking admissions into Master and Postgraduate Degree programmes, will hold on Saturday, 6th July, 2019, at 8.30 a.m. prompt at the following venues:
(i) FACULTY OF ARTS NEW LECTURE THEATRE:- For candidate seeking admission into Faculty of Arts.
(ii) FACULTY OF ARTS LECTURE HALL AND FACULTIES OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES LECTURE THEATRES:- For candidates seeking admissions into Faculties of Management Sciences and Social Sciences.
(iii) FACULTY OF EDUCATION NEW LECTURE THEATRE – For candidates seeking admissions into Faculty of Education.
(iv) LECTURE THEATRE I & II NEW SCIENCE LECTURE THEATRE & ENGINEERING LECTURE THEATRE:- For candidates seeking admissions into the Faculties of Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Physical and Life Science.
(v) FACULTY OF LAW LECTURE ROOMS AND THEATRE:- For candidates seeking admission into the Faculty.
(vi) FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES LECTURE THEATRE:- For candidates seeking admission into the Faculty.
July 6, 2019 is for Qualifying Examination as there will be no formal letters
of invitation to candidates for the Qualifying Examination. This advertisement will serve as the invitation.